Irvine- The City of Irvine seeks a Chief of Staff to act as the chief policy advisor to Mayor Farrah N. Khan. Reporting directly to the Mayor, the Chief of Staff will develop and implement all policy objectives, strategies, and operating plans and manage all activities of support staff. The Chief of Staff will coordinate activities with other legislative bodies and serve as their liaison when delegated to do so by the Mayor.
CLOSING DATE: 8/4/2021
Chief of Staff is an at-will position serving at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
The Chief of Staff directly supervises full-time, part-time, and temporary employees; carries out responsibilities in accordance with office policy and applicable laws, identifies the need for policy actions, and directs staff activities to support the Mayor in public response, policy, or other action including providing background information to help prepare the Mayor for floor and committee proceedings, and Oversees all office systems (including constituent mail) and communication programs (e.g., Social Media, Public Service Announcements, newsletters).
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Mayor, staff, and constituents.
- Thorough knowledge of legislative process.
- Thorough knowledge of local, state, and federal agencies and departments.
- Thorough knowledge of the City of Irvine’s Code of Conduct/Ethics rules.
- Thorough knowledge of California FPPC rules and regulations.
- An understanding of the history and uniqueness of Irvine.
- Possesses necessary organization, skills, supervisory leadership, and motivation to manage a legislative office.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others including the public.
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities and at all times maintain professionalism and diplomacy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the office policies, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of current office computer applications.
- Proficiency in word processing.
- Works well under pressure and handles stress.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus (Chinese, Korean, Farsi, or Urdu/Hindi).
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or a related field; and five years of related experience in government or a legislative office with management experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
To be considered for this position, please visit http://www.cityofirvine.org/jobs by August 4, 2021, for more information and to apply. EEO/ADA